Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Geotagging


I've always been fascinated by the idea of tagging photos to GPS locations, after we would fly Civil Air Patrol photo missions a few years back, the process of detailing the photos to the upper commanders was quite poorly thought out. At that time I started researching how this could be done and found some great web sites and some very smart grad students explaining what you could do and providing free software. I then did a presentation to the squadron and showed them how you could take a picture of a Garmin Etrex with the time displayed on it, then proceed to do shoot aerials while the gps writes a "track log" which includes time stamps on each point, and then "sync" the photos EXIF data to the track log... The trick is to pick a small enough distance or time log so that the points are not too far apart. I decided to get up to date on what's going on in Geotagging. The results were great but let me tell I stayed up until 4am to get all these online and geotag all the photos. Google added a bunch of my photos to Google Earth after I uploaded them to panoramio, I think I'll keep it all a secret how I did it, but you can see the results of my experiments in Panoramio here, and in Flickr here.

No comments: